Couple escapes large fire overnight | News
ALGOMA TOWNSHIP (WZZM) -- An Algoma Township couple narrowly escaped their home, after a fire broke out over night. It happened around 3am Sunday. The woman remains in the hospital with severe burns.
The fire, in the 900 block of 10 mile road, lit-up the night sky. By the time firefighters arrived, it was so intense, not much could be saved.
As the sun came up, the home's owner, Tim DeVos got a chance to see the real damage. He built the home himself in 1995. He described what happened. "My wife was downstairs watching TV, must have fallen asleep. I went to bed at 1:30."
Tim and his wife, Pat, woke up to the sound of smoke alarms and the dog barking. "She was still in the house when I came downstairs. I kept hollering at her to get out. She finally left. I ran around outside cause I couldn't get through the fire to make sure she'd gotten out."
Pat had gotten out, but suffered from smoke inhalation and severe burns. "Still in the hospital, still under observation. They've got her out for now; she inhaled a lot of smoke."
Before she was taken to the hospital, Tim says his wife said something about the fire possibly starting in the kitchen. Possibly a candle.
The home was destroyed and so was Tim's auto shop. He is a veteran driver at Berlin Raceway and kept equipment and cars, in a garage, attached to his home.
In the end, it can all be replaced. DeVos is glad that he and his wife made it out alive. "That's the main thing. We both got out. Even the dog. The rest is just material possessions. I built it once, I can build it again."
Upcoming Events near Rockford
Most popular stories from nearby communities
- My Town Greenville: District surveying community about alternative school year
- My Town Greenville: Free family movie showing March 6
- My Town Greenville: Gus Macker tournament to benefit young father battling cancer
- How Michigan wildlife are dealing with harsh winter
- My Town Greenville: Family Engineering Night Rescheduled